SIMOTION Motion Control
The innovative SIMOTION Motion Control System provides you with exactly the freedom that you require for the construction of modern machines.
SIMOTION is also, of course, a fixed part of Totally Integrated Automation SIMOTION is available for all machines carrying out Motion Control tasks – from simple machines to the high-performance variety.
The focus is on a simple and flexible solution to a huge variety of Motion Control tasks. In order to achieve this in the best way possible, a new system approach has been introduced:
Motion Control has been combined with two other control functions found in most machines: PLC and technology functions.
This approach enables the Motion Control of axes and machine control within the same system. The same applies to technology functions, such as pressure control of a hydraulic axis. A seamless switch can be made from position-controlled positioning mode to pressure control.
Combining the three control functions of Motion Control, Logic Control (PLC) and technology functions has the following benefits:
- Reduced engineering overhead and increased machine performance
- Time-critical interfaces between the individual components are no longer required
- Simple, uniform and transparent programming and diagnostics of the entire machine
SIMOTION is divided into three different hardware-platforms:
SIMOTION D, SIMOTION C and SIMOTION P
Depending on the machine type, very different demands are placed on the machine construction. Each hardware platform has its advantages in certain fields of application. The various platforms can also be combined very easily, which is especially an advantage for modular machines and systems. The individual hardware platforms always have the same system properties, i.e. functionality and engineering are always identical – irrespective of which platform is used.
You can therefore always select the platform which is most suitable for your machine:
- is the compact, drive-based version of SIMOTION based on the new SINAMICS family of drives.
- With SIMOTION D, the PLC and Motion Control functionalities of SIMOTION and the drive software of SINAMICS run on control hardware in the SINAMICS S120 design.
- SIMOTION D is offered in various performance versions. Thereby, the highest scalability and flexibility are guaranteed.
- By means of the integrated PLC in accordance with IEC 61131-3, SIMOTION D can control beside of motion the whole machine.
- HMI devices can be connected to the on board PROFIBUS or Ethernet interface for operating and monitoring. Via these interfaces, functions such as remote maintenance, diagnostics and teleservice are possible.
- SIMOTION C is the modular controller variant with the proven design of the SIMATIC S7-300 using its simple expansion options.
- SIMOTION C230-2 is a high-performance Motion Controller for control functions and Motion Control tasks.
- HMI devices can be connected directly to the on board PROFIBUS or Ethernet interface for operator control and monitoring. Functions such as remote maintenance, diagnostics and teleservice can also be used via these interfaces.
- Motion Control and Human Machine Interface on one single platform
SIMOTION P is an open PC-based, Motion Control system. PLC, Motion Control and HMI functions are executed together with standard PC applications on one platform.
Open architecture with Windows operating system
The boundaries between the manufacturing environment and the office level are becoming increasingly blurred.
With SIMOTION P, the benefits of the office data processing environment, such as
- high memory capacity for data
- data backup concepts and
- integrated communication
are included in your machine.
SIMOTION P combines the benefits of a Microsoft Windows operating system and a real time SIMOTION Motion Control operating system on one industrial PC platform.
With SIMOTION P, visualization tasks and even engineering can easily be implemented directly on the PC. When using HMI software from other development systems, the standardized OPC server interface can be used.
Functions such as remote maintenance, diagnostics and teleservice can also be used via the integrated Ethernet interface. In addition, standard PC interfaces are also available for your applications.
They can be used for:
- Hardware, such as a printer, keyboard, mouse, etc.
- Software, such as visualization software or Microsoft Office programs
Read more about SIMOTION pro from Siemens’ pages!
Technology CPU 317T-2DP
Siemens’ CPU 317T-2DP is the ideal way to solve comprehensive control tasks and perform motion control tasks of low to medium difficulty quickly and easily. Configuring and programming are done entirely within the familiar SIMATIC environment. Neither a special motion control language nor additional hardware is necessary.
The technology CPU 317T-2 DP is equipped with digital inputs and outputs as well as two PROFIBUS interfaces to cover all eventualities. Equidistance and isochrone mode are supported on the PROFIBUS for dynamic motion control of multiple linked or individual axes. Highspeed process information is processed and cam signals are output over the local inputs and outputs.
In addition, the comprehensive SIMATIC S7-300 product line also includes a wide variety of centralized components for modular expansion, making it possible to perform an exceptionally wide variety of tasks. SIMATIC’s famous flexibility allows users to choose precisely the components they need to optimize the costs for the applications they need.
Configuring instead of programming
User-friendly, intuitive dialogs in STEP 7 are used to configure and assign parameters to the drives. These dialogs allow users to create axes, assign default values, and set limiting values and monitors. The tools needed for diagnostics and commissioning are also integrated.
Motion control functions
Sequences of motions are programmed by way of function calls from the PLC user program. These motion control functions are based on PLCopen, the international standard which includes motion control programming, and are integrated in STEP 7.
Including technology functions:
- Gear and cam synchronism
- Print-mark correction by probe
- Travel to limit stop
- Path-dependent or time dependent cam switching
- Controlled positioning
Advantages at a glance
- Integration of technology/motion control in one SIMATIC CPU reduces hardware and software costs.
- One S7 user program for PLC and motion control.
- From drives over motion control to PLC – all with STEP 7.
- No additional engineering tools required thanks to STEP 7. That saves time and reduces costs.
- Complete programming in all SIMATIC languages reduces training overhead.
- Existing S7 programs can continue to be used. That reduces programming costs.
- PLCopen-compliant motion control functions simplify engineering and service.
- Isochronous PROFIBUS enables control of high-speed functions.